PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: Fodder for Non Indian Film makers

Monday, February 28, 2005

Fodder for Non Indian Film makers

Born into Brothels, apparently won the Oscars! No problem with that. My Congratulations! But the BBC reports that
"Ms Briski and Mr Kauffman plan to open an arts school in Sonagachi but have decided not to show the documentary in India because of the potential for "trouble". "

Now I am in India, I want to see this documentary. I thought the film makers wanted to assuage the condition of the kids by this video/camera docu. Unfortunately they will not show it here for perceived trouble.

They will not show the movie in India where the violence on the kids happen, where the kids live thier lives in terror, where the kids will get into trouble. The women and children apparently wanted their identities protected.

Unfortunately, I think this goes against the whole purpose of making socially relevant docus, where subjects get narcisstic and reveal all on camera, then they lack the courage to face up to their stories. Absolutely brilliant fodder for the "Non Indian" filmmakers.

I am going to be accused of "pseudo-intellectualism" here, I am not a sex-worker in Kolkata. I have not lived through the tales of hardship and years of documenting. But I do have a longing to know more of "India through the Western Lens".


I recommend reading of -
India through the Western Lens
Creating National Images in Film
authored by Ananda Mitra.
Brilliant analysis!

Some of my seniors from the University of Hyderabad, have made documentaries on "Sex Workers" in Hyderabad, maybe I should watch those.

Development Junkie | 10:02 PM |

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger