PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: BRIJ V LAL, grandson of a girmitiya - A profile

Sunday, March 20, 2005

BRIJ V LAL, grandson of a girmitiya - A profile

I will be profiling some of the interesting "Indians from the Diaspora" that I meet. This would be an interesting way to learn more of the "less spoken of" but very accomplished members of the Indian Diaspora. Move over Lakshmi Mittal...

I met with Prof. Brij V. Lal briefly, a very interesting, insightful and humorous speaker.I wanted to know more and here is what I found:

Prof.Brij, the grandson of a girmitiya (indentured laborer) who migrated from India in 1908.


Brij lal Posted by Hello


He was awarded the Order if Fiji for his distinguished contribution, as a sole representative of the Fiji Indian community on the Fiji constitution Review Commission whose reports forms the basis of the country's internationally praised constitution.

He is currently editor of the in-progress "Encyclopedia of Indians Overseas", a project based at the National University of Singapore.


In his book Mr Tulsi's store he examines the misunderstandings and mistrust between native Fijians and Indo-Fijians which continue to trouble the country today, and expresses his hopes for its democratic resolution.



Works

Girmitiyas : the Origins of the Fiji Indians (1983)
Problems and methods of enquiry in South Asian history (1984)
Politics in Fiji : studies in contemporary history (1986)
Broken Waves (1992)
Tides of history : the Pacific Islands in the twentieth century (1994)
Fiji Before the Storm : elections and the politics of development (2000)
The Pacific Islands : an Encyclopedia (2000)
Coup : Reflections on the political crisis in Fiji (2001)
Mr Tulsi's store : a Fijian journey (2001)
Bitter Sweet: The Indo-Fijian experience (2004)

Development Junkie | 7:49 PM |

Comments

Blogger RRS | Tue Mar 23, 10:07:00 PM | # 

I would be interested in this subject as I was born in Fiji and keen in finding my rootes in India, where we came from my contact information is
sharma_407@yahoo.ca Rani Sharma 416 418 5052

with regards

Blogger Unknown | Sat Oct 30, 06:57:00 PM | # 

I wish there were more people like Mr Brij Lal, who is trying to shed light on the realities of Fiji and it's people. His books are inspiring.
A.Sharma, Melbourne

Post a Comment

<< Home

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger