PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: Dreams can come true - On an emotional note

Friday, April 22, 2005

Dreams can come true - On an emotional note

When I read about this film festival , I became sad and guilty. It is a long story.

As a child, I wanted to be the doctor, engineer, teacher, scientist not forgetting the catholic option - becoming a nun. These were the only careers, I knew of, having the very predictable Hyderabadi's girl life.

I wanted to join FTII, after I flunked my class 12 exams. I knew I would go to college study, do my BA and finally learn to make documentaries there. My Dad who supported me in every endeavor, thought I was asking too much of the family to support this idea and finally I gave up. Making documentaries was not safe. I then went to the University of Hyderbad for my Masters where I studied documentary making along with other mass communication theories. And by that time I was afraid of being next to the camera, because I wanted to use it to say stories, most people won't want to see, in the process how poor I would become. Isn't it a film makers nightmare to think nobody will ever watch their movie and s/he will live on the streets.

I am still afraid, but I'm working on my fears, I am working on a Ph.D which involves "Films" and "Documentaries" on the Indian diaspora. They offer much scope for research as they address various issues we face within a global context: Identity, Race relations, Transnational Communities, Cultural Politics, and Multiculturalism. The larger goal of my Ph.d is a personal endeavor to understand my own suburban Indian identity in the context of a modern India.

I am hoping to be inspired by all the films and documetaries that I see and create, a few stories on digital-tape. If nobody watches, it should still be fine.

Development Junkie | 3:22 AM |

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger