PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: Email Dialogue with Santhosh Daniel - II

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Email Dialogue with Santhosh Daniel - II

Cecilia: Is the community coming to terms with its issues and dichotomies of culture through film.

Santhosh: Well, I think the U.K. is doing a better job of it, I think perhaps the British South Asian community is taking more time to understand its issues than the U.S. community and when I say this, I suppose I'm thinking of everyone from Hanif Quereshi to Gurinder Chadha et al.

Thus far, it seems that in the U.S., South Asians are obsessed with either talking about the clash of cultures or spoofing the culture, but not so much interested in showing how that have developed a true culture that is worth taking seriously. That said, the U.K. has a much longer history with South Asia and, in general, a much longer history than the U.S. and so, it makes relative sense that British South Asians are more deliberate that in how they consider their culture...

But, to answer your question, do I think the communities are coming to terms with their issues through film? As for the U.K., I can't say, but for the U.S., I'd give it a resounding "no" for the reason stated in the previous paragraph.

Development Junkie | 1:07 AM |

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger