PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: Fresh of the boat, stale in America

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Fresh of the boat, stale in America

I rock these bare feet like no one else can
My hands are dirty I like 'em that way
Shows Who I am
- Nelly Furtardo



I really do find it distasteful to watch "Fresh of the Boat" (FOB) characters in diaspora movies. Their portrayal has crossed the line of fine and mature humor. Then again Indian diasproic films don't use humor, they hinge highly on romance and confusions. Think movies such as Green Card Fever, ABCD and Where's the Party Yaar. Looking at it from a social perspective, I find that each group - the FOB and the first-second-generation immigrants do have issues with each other, just being brown or ethnic Indian isn't a strong enough bond.


FOB's leave Indian shores to make a good living they bring with them a lot of petty mindedness or let me use the term meager-mentality, because life at home is not as convenient and as multi-cultural as it is in the USA.

For the ABCD's life is about balancing the Indian high-culture and not having that image get disturbed by the FOB's oily hair and rustic earthiness. Understandable because to be "respected" one has to be very cultured and behave in accordance with society.

Can they be an exchange or a dialogue between these groups - the old/middle-aged Indian Diaspora (1950's - 1970's) and the relatively new diaspora (1990's) I think this would give a clearer distinction to the term "Indian Culture". The old diaspora went abroad for a "better" life, ditto for the new FOB. I think this is the point that the community sadly forgets.This reflects in the movies.

The class system of Indian society, once more gets reflected in the diaspora the FOB's and the Uptown Desis.


I quote from the Hindu, an article on the Jewish community
More than 30,000 came from Ukraine during the years following the collapse of the Soviet Union. It is this section, which was exceptionally of poor financial status, but swift community support is helping them shine.



We have a lot to learn from the Jewish Diaspora on how to treat FOB's. (this includes their characterization in movies)

Development Junkie | 10:31 PM |

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger