PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: Hyderabad Blues

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Hyderabad Blues

I remember Nagesh Kukunoor, visiting the University of Hyderabad in 1998 and asking us then students to work as assistant producers on his movie called "Hyderabad Blues". At that time, being at University, I dreaded toiling away with cameras and most of all I hated retakes. The whole class washed their hands of a good opportunity in retrospect.

I just watched Hyderabad Blues over the weekend and all I thought was, if I knew I would be analyzing this movie for my Ph.D , would I have worked on this film?

It was a different experience to watch an immigrant return to his home country to question its traditions, but then accept it with sincere affection. The successful negotiation of how we accept what Mom and Pop said/say and did/do.

From what I see, I think an immigrant coming home or an immigrant leaving home have a hard time placing themselves in a singular culture. Completely understandable. But in this multicultural world I think not only immigrants but other citizens are going to question their traditions and cultures. There is going to be a new wave of culturalism that is taking on the world slowly. A culturalism where every thing is questioned but accepted with affection and pride.

Development Junkie | 8:10 PM |

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger