PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: Travails of a part-time Ph.D student

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Travails of a part-time Ph.D student

Don’t tell me I was not warned about doing a part-time Ph.D while working full time, I was warned adequately, “it is really difficult doing a Ph.D while working full time”. I accepted the warnings as one would accept “terms and conditions” while signing up for a free email account.

It is really difficult to wean my mind away from reading an interesting film study paper to researching on rainwater harvesting which is a part of my job that gives me my salary. My mind is constantly in dialogue with itself on what chapters must be included in my thesis and then I rudely interrupt my mind to look at things to be done on my work desk. Which is more important? Both.

My home folks are used to me being a working woman, who by duty must socialize with them in the evenings. To ask them in the gentlest of tones to turn down the volume of the television to help me concentrate on my self-inflicted study makes me feel guilty. After all they have spent my school and college years keeping their voices low.

Then comes bed time, when I resolve to do substantial readings before I lay my head to rest. Two pages of academic jargon-filled film theory and I pass into deep slumber. After all, I have spent the whole day working at my full-time day job and being dutiful to my part-time Ph.D.

Being a part-time researcher means you don’t have the luxury of talking to your guide about various details that you would want his or her opinion on. Your full time doctoral colleagues aren’t present to be sounding boards. All light-bulb moments will have to be shared at the next scheduled meeting. You can’t get eclectic with your readings, the library is not a haven of knowledge, you mean business when you enter the library, you pick up titles most relevant and go home to attend to other earthly duties. Entertainment will always be shrouded with anxiety over ‘wasted time’.

When preparing for the Ph.D entrance, Puneet a friend at that time would allow me to use his room to study in peace and quiet. He and I are now married, an army officer posted in Kargil, we discuss my research excitedly over telephone. After the call, I realize I must hasten in completing my Ph.D, before I join him at his next posting. I am enrolled at the University of Hyderabad, where I live, so meeting with my guide and accessing other university resources is relatively easier. From another town, this would be a strain on time and financial resources.

I wonder at my motivations for pursuing a part-time Ph.D., I am not an academician so the degree isn’t going to ensure a promotion or a salary hike. Most research grants are not for part-timers. So I pay my fee every semester. I have to work full time because after 6 years in the professional work force - I have a lifestyle to maintain and a home loan to repay. Don’t forget I buy a whole lot of books online!

So is this a labor of love, is it trying to find a place in the annals of some obscure academic journal, is it trying to prove that I can do two things at the same time, is it a chance to satisfy my intellectual curiosity?

On introspection, it is all of these but the overriding reason will always be my respect and regard for higher scholarship.

Tips for part-time Ph.D students:

1.Do your full time job to the best of your abilities, this is self-encouragement to pursue your part-time study.
2.Explain to your family the need for space and time for study, be willing to rise early or go late to bed.
3.Choose a research theme that you’re passionate about.
4.Don’t feel torn or guilty to spend time with friends and family. Make up for the lost day on a weekend or a holiday.
5.Make appointments with your guide periodically, it will help keep the focus.
6.Use email and telephone to keep connected with your guide.
7.Send updates or notes just so that he/she knows you’re at it.
8.Publish papers in smaller academic journals, this will give you the necessary preparation for publishing in international journals.
9.If there is a grant apply for it, it might give you the chance to do your Ph.D full time.
10.Learn to save time, by using a computer to make notes, creating agendas when meeting with resource people etc.
11.Create a research proposal that is not going to get you into the field often, if the topic warrants field activity keeps it close to where you live.

Development Junkie | 9:59 PM |

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger