PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: The Coolies

Saturday, July 02, 2005

The Coolies

I have been extremely busy trying to finish of my proposal for the Ph.D. It is tough getting the proposal together. But hopefully by the next week, I get the first draft out.

I found this article on the "Coolies" by Francis Assisi.

From 20th century’s indentured Indian laborers, who crossed Kala Pani in steamships, to today’s globally savvy professionals, who jet across intercontinental and cultural space, all Indian immigrants may be viewed as coolies: hitech coolies, coding coolies, medical coolies, intellectual coolies, academic coolies, scientific coolies, and business coolies.



The Indian diaspora consisting of coolies left largely for economic and social reasons,in the colonial times. To take away the coolie identity has take a long while. Why is the term being resurrected again? We provide world class service and labor at a lower price, does that make us coolies.

Development Junkie | 9:07 AM |

Comments

Anonymous Anonymous | Sat Jul 02, 02:59:00 PM | # 

Cecilia,
This is the first time I'm into ur blog. That u had taken up this subject for Phd Thesis is very interesting. Great Job n hope to see more interesting articles in ur blog

Post a Comment

<< Home

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger