PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: Foot soldiers of Globalization - Indian workers in Dubai

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Foot soldiers of Globalization - Indian workers in Dubai



Everytime I scan the web to find out more about the Indian diaspora in Dubai, I reach no where. I have a lot of friends working there, doing well. Most of them are now leaving Dubai, to live in Canada and Australia.

Me, being a researcher on "Films on the Diaspora", I look around for audio-visual stories, I have seen movies from Mississippi Masala to Bride and Prejudice, the story line is the culture of India, that we like to fantasize about, exotic to point of being 'only exotic'. But what I yearn to see is the story of the Indian diaspora in the Middle-East, we have heard horror stories of maids being confined, of workers having no legal rights.

So when I read this article Dubai's Kerala Connection - Hidden behind the Gulf State's development are Indian "foot soldiers of globalization" which also had pictures, I think I have found a man who is equally interested in capturing the diaspora in pictures as I am.

Steve Raymer is an associate professor of journalism at Indiana University in Bloomington and was a National Geographic Magazine staff photographer for more than 20 years. He is working on a photographic book about the Indian Diaspora.

Development Junkie | 8:03 PM |

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger