PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: A filmi weekend wrap up

Thursday, September 08, 2005

A filmi weekend wrap up


Last night I started to watch "Ae Fond Kiss", about romance between a Pakistani immigrant DJ, and Scottish Catholic girl. There was an intense beginning to the movie, but I posponed watching it to tonite, with the Husband.

I am interested in seeing 'Diasporic Film' of other countries as well, "Ae Find Kiss" based on the Pakistani diaspora is my first venture out of Indian diasporic film. The "Islamic" issue takes on a huge role here and I am beginning to wonder, if "Films can be used to reconcile the Western and the Islamic culture".

For the review of the movie CLICK
For the official website CLICK
*************

I read regularly - Intent Blog

The goal of www.Intentblog.com is to present original voices on and from Asia and India to inspire, stimulate and engage a dialogue about new paradigms of creativity, communication, and fulfillment. World renowned author, Deepak Chopra MD, and internationally acclaimed film maker, Shekhar Kapur, are the founders of INTENT.



I found particularly interesting Shekhar Kapur's future analysis of Hollywood.Now I don't really agree with him Hollywood is too large a cultural giant to cow down and accomodate foreign films, it could do it at a very marginal level. Hollywood has mass appeal because of its social realism and well designed fantasy icons, but Bollywood for instance is the same old romance, dance and song, ofocurse now we have locales of New York, Sydney and London - taking into account the diaspora earnings for a movie. Bollywood is too culture-centric too across cultures as widely as Hollywood.

Till then, lets celebrate individuality of story telling and film making. Just enjoy the new , Mexican, Chinese, Japanese and Indian films.


I would love to see other films as well.
***************

There is this movie out now Ramji Londonwalla, about a Bihari Chef and his interaction with a Brit-Asian girl set in London, a very Indian filmi perspective on the immigrant situation. Don't think I'll spend money watching the movie in a multiplex, will catch it on DVD.

Good Weekend!!!

Development Junkie | 8:47 PM |

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger