PROUD 2B INDIAN Desipora: Why I enjoy my Ph.D better than my School, Bachelors and Masters

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Why I enjoy my Ph.D better than my School, Bachelors and Masters

The reason I was away from this blog, is because I was in Bangalore last week, enjoying myself with friends over beer, coffee and movies. Today I just completed my fresh new proposal with a new research interest - ICT for Development. My previous work was going right through the drain. So hopefully the proposal works and the new university accepts me.

When I was in school I found all the sciences very boring, I liked the social sciences and enjoyed all the classes. I failed many a time in science, but my father realized I was intelligent and more of a free thinker, so he didn't care.(Unusual for Indian parents) So I failed high school because I went to study Maths, Physics and Chemistry only because my friends were in the class. But soon enough I realized that there were Literature, Civics and History classes and here I was totally disinterested in the organic chemistry class. I sat disinterestedly even during the final exams.

In my Bachelors, I took up Literature, Political Science and Psychology, life felt better atleast the arts allowed me to think in my own fiery way, there was room to accomodate atleast part of free thinking on most subjects especially Political Science.

In my Masters I took up "Communications" and here is where my personality was its best - Rebellious, Intelligent, Dodgy, figuring it out always. At University I was treated like an adult for the first time and the subject I chose allowed me to express my views academic or otherwise on anything. So the Masters was next to my ideal academic situation.


At the Ph.D level, it is you and your guide, the freedom to choose what you want to study and offer your own passion for a subject, insight and findings makes it the best academic degree to pursue. You try to develop original thoughts and try to look at the subject form various angles to suit or negate your study. This is what makes it interesting and your in command of your thoughts with a guide only to wade you through the maze of information that is available for choosing.Contrary to my free thinking I am a very disciplined and structured person, so organizing my thoughts is not that difficult. Guess I have the right mix of personality for a Ph.D. Also the time is a lot more than the usual 3 year or 2 year degrees.


I enjoy it!

Development Junkie | 3:14 AM |

Comments

Blogger Prithi Shetty | Mon Sep 18, 08:00:00 PM | # 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger fredericknoronha | Sun Oct 15, 10:07:00 AM | # 

Hi Cecilia, Nice to come across your blog. May I invite you to join the BytesForAll network that looks at ICT-in-development -- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bytesforall_readers Regards, FN (Frederick Noronha, in Goa, India)

Blogger workhard | Wed Oct 07, 08:53:00 AM | # 

Hey thats great.. ur parents are really understanding.. U were like me.. just hated math and sciences loved art and history.. still ended up doing engineering..

Glad u enjoy ur phd



Make website india

Post a Comment

<< Home

About the blog

This blog was chronicling my Ph.D journey, which I am no longer pursuing. Since I will always like reviewing film and talking about Indian family and street culture, this blog takes a different turn.

About me

Development Junkie
New Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, India

Interested in learning more of development communications

» More Info

Links

Etcetera

Powered by Blogger